4/16/2009

Tea

I really like tea. That's really all there is to say on that. I find it to be one of my favorite drinks. I wish I could give you an exact reason why... but I just find it to be tasty.

There are 6 kinds of teas to my knowledge: Oolong, Black, Green, White, Rooibos and Flower. All of these are larger categories that contain many different varieties of the tea.

Oolong tea is mostly a chinese tea with a medium flavor. Not too earthy, or flowery or tasteless. It's really the average of teas. I'm quite fond of it, and it is definitly my favorite category of tea although it does not contain my favorite tea. My favorite type would be a tie between an oolong called Tie Guan Yin and another called Scarlet Robe.

Next in line are the Black teas. These are the most familiar to the western world as it is the usual type of tea served at most places. They tend to have a stronger taste than all of the other teas and they can range from light to very earthy. Though as a category they are not my favorite, it does contain my favorite particular tea, Pu'er. This tea is the only tea that is better aged, and has an incredibly strong earthy flavor.

Then there are Green teas. These are without a doubt the most famous teas. Touted for their health benefits by celebrities and laman alike, they have a very earthy/grassy taste. To be quite honest I'm not a fan of these teas. They have too grassy a taste for me and they're about second from the bottom on my favorite chart (well, really more of a list).

White Teas are a variation of the Green tea. They are young Green tea leaves picked before they are ripe and brewed. they contain most of the health benefits of the Green tea with a much lighter taste. I find their taste much better than the Green tea. My favorite type of White tea is the Dragonwell.

Now Rooibos teas are interesting. They are from an African plant and therefore unlike the other teas listed. The teas have a sweet flavor that is very smooth and quite tasty. I am not as familiar with this set of teas as I am with others, so I can't rellay pick a favorite variety.

Lastly are the Flower teas... which, true to their name, are made with flowers. These are known in the west as well, mostly as jasmine or chamamille. Flowers have a very perfumy taste as well as smell which is why they are my least favorite tea of all. I do occasionally enjoy Chamamiille tea, but I usually don't drink flower teas.

Those are the kinds of teas I am familiar with. I am quite a fan.

2 comments:

Harry said...

OK, so maybe I'll try a white tea. I think we've got some. I've been drinking green tea because it's the lowest in caffeine.

KPOni said...

Yea, I think the White tea we have has added caffeine though, So I would check it before switching.