2/23/2011

Of The Unavoidables

Ok, so I got my final w-2 today. Because I'm a good U.S. citizen who wants to get their taxes done as soon as possible, I'm very happy for this. Now, because I like to know, I decided to add my two w-2's together (having worked 2 jobs in 2010). Now, while I certainly didn't make that much money (not even 5 figures) it is probably the most money I've made in any given year, me being 21 and not having held many jobs before that.

However, I decided to take it a step further. Now, I don't know if it's because I'm some sort of sado-masochist, or because somewhere, deep in the recesses of my soul I hate myself, but I decided to find out how much money I lost in taxes.

If you value your sanity, never do this. EVER.

Turns out, around 1/8th (or 12%) or my totally earnings were taken for various reasons. Now, I didn't even make it to the poverty line. Not to mention I had tips-based jobs, so there's a chance I might have to pay even more.

Needless to say upon doing this I came to wish I really hadn't. like really... like it hurts to think about what I could have done with all the extra money I would have had if it weren't for the taxes.

The worst part, I think, is that the vast (and I do mean vast) majority of what was taken out was for social security. SOMETHING I'M TOLD I WILL NEVER, EVER HAVE! Seriously, that is money I will never see again, not even in the "Oh look, the city is building a new park and my tax dollars went to that" way.

I am ready to punch babies. But I won't, because I have to work tonight. because I don't have enough money. irony completed.

2 comments:

Harry said...

Death and taxes. At least they can only kill us once.

Dizzy Withington said...

Wow, I have so much to look forward to.
I'm moving to Neverland.