8/15/2009

An Ode

This is to all the people who will try anything once. Sure, they're reckless, and often get themselves hospitalized for their actions, but without them we would be nowhere.

Think, if you will, about the common beverage, milk. Milk is a substance that comes out of the utters of a cow, goat, human or any other mammal. Although we are raised on it (assuming one is breast fed), we stop drinking it when we become toddlers. Think about the first person to see a cow and it's calf feeding on it's mother's milk. Something in that person's brain said, "Huh, you know, I'm gonna drink that." Now, in your right mind, if you saw a cow for the first time and had no knowledge of it prior, would you drink the odd white liquid coming out of it's underside?

This is why we need people who are willing to do anything regardless of how stupid it may seem at the time, because sometimes, good things come of it. This can be said of more things than milk. Take honey, imagine a trio of people staring at a bee hive.

Person 1: What is that?

Person 2: I dunno, but those things will hurt you if you get close

Person 3: Yea, but what's that stuff dripping off the bottom?

Person 1: I don't know

Person 3: Looks all weird and goopy.

Person 2: Dude, I dare you to eat it.

Person 1: NO!

Person 3: Eh, what the hell, I'll try anything once.

Now, Person 3 would be considered an idiot, yet if it were not for people like that, we would not have honey, a delicious sweetener.

In short, we owe something to the idiots of our day, sometimes, they just get hurt or kill themselves, but sometimes, they discover something that mihgt just help society.

2 comments:

Cammie said...

I stumbled upon your blog due to the name, I have Lupus. I am like idiot #3, I have been a guinea pig in drug study for lupus and it has turned into quite possibly the first lupus medication in over 50 years. (Sorry, I brought my soapbox)

I was pleasantly surprised to find such funny insightful bits of prose. You are awfully grounded for a male, 19 year old, art student. ;> But then, I don't really fit my stereotypical lupus patient and activist/grandmother/stained glass artisan.

Good luck in school and life, I think it looks like you will have an interesting journey. :>
Hugs, Cammie
www.autumneave.stumbleupon.com

Harry said...

And what about the first person to eat an oyster? We know he -or she - wasn't Jewish.