2/17/2009

Writing and Environmentalism II

So I am taking a writing and rhetoric II class. I want everyone to pay close attention to the name of this course. "Writing and Rhetoric II". Sounds like a normal English class, yes? You'd be wrong. As I go to an arts college, it is of course not going to be the average English class, and that I don't have a problem with.

However, in the "normal" W&R II at the arts college, the student is supposed to pick a specific "site" to takes notes and write on. My teacher, however, decided, "Silly college students, they can't choose a place for themselves, I'll pick the topic for them." What's the topic? Why, the human/nature theme that the school is holding events on this year.

Now, I should say this, I really don't have too many problems with the environmental movement. My biggest issue is it's insistence on government involvement. I much more subscribe to the thought stream of those like Henry Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson, who were known for their stance against government.

Anyway, my professor has decided that we are all to write on a specific topic relating to humans and nature. She decided for us. We're college students, supposed adults, and she went out of her way to pick a specific topic for us. THERE'S A FRIGGIN' REASON I CAME TO AN ART SCHOOL!

Yes, believe it or not, one of the reasons why I like an art school is that I get to think for myself much more than at the average college, but no, now I have to write on something I'm not interested in, and am expected to write well. That's complete shit. I thought that stuff was meant for high school, guess I was mistaken.

I mean, I want to be able to choose for myself a topic like most other students in the class, and I DON'T want to have this super-liberal point of view being told to me every week. I'm sorry but it's idiotic.

But, luckily for me, I only have a limited engagement in this class, and when it's over I will be quite happy to live without environmental bullshit being shoved down my throat every tuesday and thursday morning at 9am.

So ends this,
Your Favorite Dancer

5 comments:

mschieren said...

I'm going to tie you up with duct tape and force you to watch "An Inconvenient Truth"

You can hate the government all you want, but the fact of the matter is that there is an environmental crisis whether you believe it or not.

Harry said...

It's like I told you, you should have moved to NYC and played your guitar on a street corner, auditioning in your spare time.

Matt,
There's been one "environmental crisis" after another ever since the mid-sixties. I remember. I was there and sober enough to be listening. Check out some of the predictions of Paul Erlich and some of the other scare mongers of that day, who predicted world wide famine, the end of civilization, etc. that would be coming in the 1980s, 90s, and 2000s. Don't let them fool you, otherwise you'll have to reduce your "carbon footprint" by refusing to exhale.

Anonymous said...

global cooling, global warming--pick one, i don't care which.

mschieren said...

While this may be true, and I really don't want to argue with you (lets say I just want to be on my roommate's parents' good side :) I still believe that we are in an environmental crisis; and I'm just going to leave it at that.

mschieren said...

And I agree that you shouldn't have to write about a teacher-defined subject in a class that's supposed be about writing what YOU want to write about.